PATCH Child Abuse Centre is a non-profit organisation – and the only organisation in the Helderberg area of Cape Town – that specializes in the prevention and treatment of child sexual abuse. Every year, roughly 500 victims of child sexual abuse are referred to PATCH. Sometimes more than 60 new victims are registered in one month. PATCH provides services to children from birth to 18 years of age.
We have a 24-hour crisis centre at our PATCH Somerset West office where almost 200 children per year are supported through their medico-legal examination to collect DNA evidence when there is a possibility of the child having been raped. Many children who have been raped run the risk of contracting HIV and/or other sexually transmitted diseases and require the necessary preventative treatment. The on-call doctor will therefore also immediately prescribe Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) treatment to reduce the chance of contracting HIV, pregnancy and/or STDs if the incident took place within the 72-hour window period.
- PATCH provides immediate crisis intervention services;
- more than 400 children per year receive free professional assessments and therapy from our registered social workers in the child’s home language at a PATCH facility close to the child victim’s home;
- PATCH offers preparation for the court case, should their case go to court;
- PATCH presents Awareness & Prevention programs at crèches, primary and high schools.
What to do when you have been abused in the Helderberg Area?
- If you are in immediate danger, or you are worried about your safety and you have access to a phone, contact emergency services immediately and try to get to somewhere safe.
- Reach out to someone you trust for support.
- Report the case to your nearest police station.
- In case you are injured: go straight to the hospital, a health centre or your local doctor.
- Do not take a bath as it might wash away any evidence of the sexual abuse.
- Contact PATCH’s 24-hour crisis line at (021) 852 6110.
- Get professional help. PATCH offers free assessment and therapy services to child victims of sexual abuse in the Helderberg area.
- If you report your case after 72 hours, you still have the right to a medical examination.
We are working hard to become a fully self-sustainable organisation by 2020 to prevent us from depending on generous donors and funders to be able to keep doing our much-needed work. One of our sources of income is our La PATCH Charity Shop full of items donated by and bought by the people from our community. Please note that we are always in need of good used clothes, bed linen, home- and kitchenware, toys and books. Please contact us at +27 (0)21 852 6110 if you have anything to donate.